BURLINGTON, MA, February, 17, 2016 – Today, Nuance Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: NUAN) announced Dragon® Medical One, a universal and secure cloud-based platform that provides unified voice-driven clinical documentation for physicians, whether they are dictating into electronic health records (EHR) or a growing list of mobile productivity apps. For the first time, this personalized and consistent experience extends beyond the current EHR capabilities to include apps physicians’ use every day including secure communication and messaging apps, such as those from Care Thread, Doc Halo, and Imprivata. In addition, Dragon Medical One supports the TigerText developer platform, TigerConnect, voice-enabling apps for care coordination, population health, telemedicine and drug adherence. This demonstrates Nuance’s continuing effort to improve physicians’ relationships with technology, freeing them to focus on patients.
Physicians demand a consistent, high-quality experience as their documentation workflows are increasingly split between the desktop, mobile devices, and new tools outside the EHR. In 2015 with Nuance’s cloud-based speech recognition, 35 percent of physicians dictated on a mobile device and 65 percent used the desktop where they saved 2.5 hours of documentation for every hour they dictated. Dragon Medical One provides an integrated experience that allows clinicians to use their voice on any intelligent device to expedite care while automatically sharing any speech customizations across devices and applications.
The Dragon Medical One desktop app provides secure, highly accurate and portable cloud-based speech recognition wherever and whenever physicians need to document – regardless of application, device or physical location. The Dragon Medical One cloud platform provides each physician with a unique Nuance Healthcare ID, providing access to an ecosystem of speech-enabled workflows and personalized tools designed for speed, accuracy and flexibility across the widest range of devices in the industry.
- "We are always interested in technology that improves productivity, and cloud-based speech supports the ways physicians work and eases the effort of entering clinical documentation into patient records, Nuance Dragon Medical solutions have let us scale voice recognition in a way that we simply couldn't have done in any other way," Don Fosen, director of IT, Edward-Elmhurst Health.
“Physicians spend nearly half of their day in front of a computer, and 88 percent report that they are burnt out, citing documentation burdens as a top concern,” said Peter Mahoney, senior vice president and general manager, Dragon and clinical documentation, Nuance. “Dragon Medical One helps them reduce documentation time in the EHR, and now can deliver the same benefits across the many other clinical productivity tools they use every day, reducing the total documentation time and allowing them to spend more time with patients.”
Other highlights of the new Dragon Medical One platform include:
Insights – Dragon® Medical Analytics measures the time spent documenting and provides individual and organizational insights so leaders can track clinician use, efficiency, productivity and for informed decision making and maximum adoption.
Workflow Tools and Enhancements – Clinicians can use Dragon Medical One to tap into other workflow enhancements that optimize physician productivity and downstream clinical and financial outcomes, including:
- Dragon® Medical Advisor: Analyzes notes in real time and suggests ways to make narrative stronger to increase ICD-10 specificity, improve Case Mix Index, coding, quality and compliance.
- Dragon® Medical PowerPack: Evidence-based content including 600+ templates and commands that add specificity and allow physicians to customize rich content in seconds.
- PowerMic Mobile: Enables clinicians to use their smartphone as a secure wireless dictation microphone to dictate, edit and navigate the EHR on any workstation.
- Premium Partner Apps with Embedded Speech: Access to each physician's common voice profile is available through leading web-based and mobile EHRs, including Cerner, Epic, and eClinicalWorks to name a few.
More than 500,000 clinicians use Nuance healthcare solutions today and a growing number are using Nuance cloud-based speech recognition because of the portability and flexibility it provides clinicians with clinical documentation.
Resources and Information
- View infographic: "Doctors on the move need technology that keeps up"
- Watch the Dragon Medical One video
- Schedule a demo at HIMSS in Las Vegas at booth #2621
Dragon Medical One will be generally available in April 2016 in North America. Nuance clients using Dragon Medical Direct will receive Dragon Medical One at no cost at that time. For other Dragon Medical users, visit the Dragon Medical One web page for more information or to schedule a demo.
About Nuance Communications, Inc.
Nuance Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: NUAN) is a leading provider of voice and language solutions for businesses and consumers around the world. Its technologies, applications and services make the user experience more compelling by transforming the way people interact with devices and systems. Every day, millions of users and thousands of businesses experience Nuance’s proven applications. For more information, please visit www.nuance.com. Connect with Nuance on social media through the healthcare blog, What’s next, as well as LinkedIn, and Twitter.
Trademark reference: Dragon Medical 360 and Nuance Clinical Language Understanding are registered trademarks or trademarks of Nuance Communications, Inc. or its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other company names or product names referenced herein may be the property of their respective owners.